Game Brainstorming

As mentioned in my previous blog posts I'm a big fan of various genres of games so I'm going to come up with ideas for 4 different types of games that I feel might be interesting that I'd be happy to work on.


A Fighter;

I used to be a big fan of story modes in fighting games, especially the 3D world beat em' up type modes. Modes such as Conquest in the PS2 Mortal Kombat games and Tekken Force in the mid entry Tekken games was super fun. Obviously there's been full games that have been pretty similar to this but those just spring to mind for me, having clearly taken inspiration from the likes of the Arcade X-Men, Golden Axe and most famously Streets of Rage but I'd like to take more inspiration from the ones with full 3D worlds. My idea would be to have a game based around a fighter wanting to be master of all classes of combat so the game would follow him going to places around the world to master different fighting styles. This could influence various areas in the game, a level for different countries like Japan, Russia, Mexico, etc. This would allow various different aesthetics and atmospheres to make progression feel fresh. My idea would have his origin be that he's a boxer but seeks to be the worlds most well rounded fighter but to be the best he'll have to learn from the best, therefore he has to travel the world and face the obstacles that get in the way of his journey. I'd like the gameplay to start off with just moving, blocking and punching, as the game progresses each area will have a boss that's a master of a skill set that the player will learn upon beating them hence progressing him through his journey. some inspiration from that comes from the bosses in Crash Bandicoot 3 giving the player abilities upon beating them. 
Konquest Mode - Mortal Kombat Deception
https://mortalkombat.fandom.com/wiki/Konquest

A Platformer;

So I'm a huge fan of platformers, both 2D and 3D. Some of my favourite include Crash Bandicoot, Cuphead, Little Big Planet, Prince of Persia and Jak and Daxter. I'd really like to do a lighthearted platformer about a Sphynx cat who longs for a coat of fur to fit in with the other cats. So the adventure would follow the cat as it ventures through the alleys and gardens of a colourfully decorated city as he hunts down the biggest and baddest rodents in town in for their fur. As he progresses through them he gains more and more fur until he he's able to acquire a full ridiculous looking coat. The gameplay would mainly be run, jump and attack(scratch). The atmosphere would be full of cat themed objects and obstacles. I'd like to include mini-games within such as escaping yarn, coughing up furballs and catching fish, etc. I'd like for it to be in ways similar to Ghost of a Tale and taking some design influence from Unravel and Banjo and Kazooie.
Ghost of a Tale
https://www.ghostofatale.com/

Hack N' Slash;

I always enjoy good sword based gameplay, Some of my favourite games that i mentioned in my first blog post are sword based action/adventure games. I'd like to explore occult and satanic ideals and themes so if I were to create a game based on it then it'd probably have to be hack n' slash similar to the likes of Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry, God of War etc. I'd like to play around with a story where someone is banished to hell for something they didn't too so they have to fight back up the various layers of hell to try acquire his freedom and prove his innocence, through acts of violence, encounter various demonic characters from folklore and biblical stories etc on the way. It would be a lot darker than my other ideas. Atmosphere would be dark and gothic to capture a hellish atmosphere. controls would be all about blocking, dodging, attacking and I'd like to include some hell themed weaponry that can be picked up as the game progresses
Agony - A game with an immersive grotesque depiction of Hell and its atmosphere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agony_(2018_video_game)

Shooter;

There's been a lot of Roguelike games breaking through over the past few years such as Binding of Isaac,Rogue legacy, Deadcells, etc. Roguelike is described as a subgenre of role-playing video game characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, tile-based graphics, and permanent death of the player character. I'd like to try this as a third person shooter where you play the role of a wingless bee fighting his way through a honey factory to rescue his family and reclaim his wings. His weapon would be a hot honey shooter that would melt his enemies, The setting would require you to find honey valves to reload the weapon. The enemies would be factory workers, probably in the form of bears as they love honey and I'd like to keep it lighthearted. My idea would be like a mix of Splatoon, Oddword;Abe's Odysee and Binding of Isaac. Controls would be simply point and shoot and move. I'd like the level design to steer away from any yellows so when honey appears on screen it stands out greatly, similar to how obstacles in mirrors edge stood out as a vibrant red. I would like some elements of the game to feature stealth but I predict that's a difficult process to include in the development of the game.
Oddworld would be a big influence. This is from the intro when the main character finds out that the factory he works in is now using his species as a main ingredient for their new product.
http://www.oddworld.com

Comments

  1. Hi David I really like your idea for the platformer game! Growing up I really loved crash bandicoot as well it was so fun to play. Your idea of a cat wanting it's coat of fur and travelling all around including a colourful city to get it off rodents sounds very intriguing it sounds like a game that I would like to play.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment